This surprisingly flavorful dish is so easy to make! Deliciously smoky and rich, it has the same texture as the classic dish. You will not be able to tell this is not the original jambalaya.
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 g) unrefined sea salt
- 4 oz (112 g) guanciale or bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 andouille sausage, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 oz (84 g) fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken or beef broth
- 6 oz (170 g) chicken, cut into % inch (1 cm) cube
- 1 Ib (454 g) fresh raw shrimp, peeled
- 2 cups (120 g) riced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup (20 g) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Mix the paprika, oregano, black pepper, basil, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and salt and set aside.
- In a slow cooker, set on high, put the guanciale and sausage on the bottom, then add the onion, celery, garlic, tomato and broth. Sprinkle half of the seasoning over the slow cooker ingredients.
- While the slow cooker mixture cooks sprinkle the other half of the seasoning mixture on the chicken. Place the chicken in the refrigerator for 3 hours, then take it out and
bring to room temperature. At the same time, bring the shrimp to room temperature as well.
- After the slow cooker mixture has cooked for about 4 hours, add the chicken, shrimp and riced cauliflower to the slow cooker, stirring everything together, and cook for another hour and a half. Make sure all of the meats are thoroughly cooked, but not overcooked; they should be tender and juicy and the flavors well blended. Mix in fresh parsley just before serving.
- If the mixture is too watery, cook for an additional half-hour with an open lid, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 10 minutes + 5 hours
Total Calories:1588 kcal; Total Carbs:43gm; Fat:101g; Protein:134g; Fiber:12g; Net Carbs:31g
Per portion: Calories – 264.6; Carbs: 7.1; Fat: 16.8; Protein:22.3; Fiber:2; Net Carbs:5.1