This crockpot roast chicken is the easiest, juiciest whole chicken recipe you will ever find on the internet. It is one of the best ways to make a whole chicken inside your slow cooker that is not only incredibly quick to cook but also flavorful.
You can also your pressure cooker to make this roast chicken and then using a griller or broiler for 5 minutes to make the skin crispier. This roast chicken is a perfect weekend dinner dish.
A whole new experience – Slow Cooker Roast Chicken
Even if you don’t have prior experience of using crockpot believe me this is going to be the easiest recipe you will ever make.
The magical part of this dish is the chicken flesh is juicy and tender since it is brined. Even if you cook it for 2 hours the chicken breasts remain juicy and taste just like your traditional oven-roasted chicken.
If you are using a pressure cooker, cook the chicken for 24 minutes. In case of the slow cooker, cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
Also, it takes only 10 minutes to prep ahead before getting it into the slow cooker. The presence of lemon sauce adds that extra flavor to the chicken juice.
Method To Cook This Whole Chicken In Slow Cooker
First make an olive oil paste using lemon, garlic, salt, pepper, and dried herbs. To get a better taste, just slide the olive oil paste under the chicken skin, for this, you can use a dessert spoon. The paste will spread across the whole chicken when it cooks.
Throw the used lemon inside the chicken then place the chicken on the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours.
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker after 5 hours, you will see the chicken is cooked perfectly but it will be colorless. To get the crispy golden brown texture, just grill or broil the chicken for 5 minutes.
How Much Time Does A Whole Chicken Needed To Cook In The Slow Cooker?
A 4lb whole chicken needs 5 hours on low and 3 hours on high. You will get a juicy tender chicken just like your traditional oven roast chicken.
If you want the chicken flesh to fall off the bone then you need to cook it for 7 to 8 hours on a low.
I don’t Have Slow Cooker Can I Use My Instant Pot?
definitely yes, actually it is a faster option to make this garlic roast chicken. To make this work in a pressure cooker, just add 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook it for 24 minutes on high. Next, depressurize it naturally for 10 minutes and release the valve.
How To Make The Lemon Sauce/gravy
It is a very simple process. Just add cornstarch and cornflour then cook until thickened.
Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken
- 2/ 4 kg/lb whole chicken patted dry (Note 1)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil or melted butter, plus extra for drizzling
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large lemon all zest + all juice
- 1 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 1 extra lemon just in case
- Mix the rub ingredients. Make sure it is fairly thick and sludgy. Add further oil if it is too thick.
- Use an upside spoon to loosen the skin of the chicken. Spoon most of the rub ingredients under the skin and 1 tbsp of oil for the skin. Use a dessert spoon or hand to spread the paste inside the skin.
- Insert the used lemon inside the chicken
- Place the rack inside the slow cooker and chicken on top of the rack. Spread the remaining sludge, sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Slow cook the chicken for 5 hours on low or 3 hours on high or until the juice started flowing or until the temperature reaches 75°C/165F on a meat thermometer.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker, sprinkle remaining oil on top. Broil or grill the chicken on medium-high for 5 to 10 minutes to get the crispy brownish golden texture.
- Pour the pan juices on top and serve with lemon sauce.
- Take a saucepan and pour the slow cooker liquid and add cornflour/water mixture. Mix well.
- Simmer the mixture on medium-high and cook until the liquid thickens to a thin syrup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add extra lemon if needed. Pour the syrup in a jug.