This recipe yields a tender, juicy bird that is ready in a flash for dinner, or that can be used in any recipe calling for cooked chicken or chicken broth. It yields about 3 cups skinned and boned chicken and 3 cups rich, tasty broth. Chill the broth to make removing the fat easier.
HANDS-ON: 15 MINUTES
UNDER PRESSURE: 25 MINUTES
NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE
SAUTÉ (NORMAL) • PRESSURE COOK (HIGH PRESSURE)
- 1 (3½- to 3¾-pound) whole frying chicken
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Rinse chicken, and pat excess moisture with paper towels. Combine Greek seasoning and next 3 ingredients (through Italian seasoning) in a small bowl. Rub seasoning over entire chicken and inside body cavity.
- Remove the lid of a 6-quart Instant Pot®. Press [Sauté]. When the word “Hot” appears, swirl in oil.
- Place chicken, breast side down, in pot. Cook 5 minutes to brown. Turn chicken over, and cook 2 minutes. Pour chicken broth around chicken to avoid washing off the herb mixture.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot®. Turn the steam release handle to “Sealing” position. Cook at High Pressure 25 minutes. Turn cooker off.
- Open cooker using Natural Pressure Release. Remove chicken from pot. Let stand 10 minutes before carving. If desired, you may remove skin and bones and chop chicken for another use.