You won’t miss the meat in this vegetarian rendition of classic lasagna. Mushrooms and wheat germ lend a meatlike texture to the sauce, and tofu substitutes for ricotta cheese.
SERVES: 6 TO 8
HANDS-ON: 42 MINUTES
UNDER PRESSURE: 20 MINUTES
NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE
BROIL: 3 MINUTES
SAUTÉ (NORMAL) • PRESSURE COOK (HIGH PRESSURE)
- 1 (16-ounce) package firm tofu, well-drained
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded (about ½ cup)
- 1 (8-ounce) package pre-shredded Italian 5-Blend Cheese (such as Kraft)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ tablespoons extra-dry vermouth
- 2½ cups bottled marinara sauce (such as Ragu)
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup toasted wheat germ (such as Kretchmer’s)
- Cooking spray
- 16 no-boil lasagna noodles
- Place tofu in a bowl; mash with a fork until the consistency of cottage cheese. Add Parmesan cheese, and toss well. Combine Italian cheese blend and parsley in a separate bowl.
- Remove the lid of a 6-quart Instant Pot®. Add olive oil and butter to the inner pot. Press [Sauté]. When butter melts, add mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and next 3 ingredients (through pepper). Cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Stir in vermouth, and cook 1 minute. Stir in marinara sauce, ½ cup of the water, and wheat germ. Cook just until sauce begins to bubble slightly. Stir well, and turn the cooker off. Remove inner pot from cooker. Set aside.
- Coat 2 (7-inch x 2½-inch-deep) springform pans with cooking spray. In the bottom of one pan, layer 2⅔ noodles, breaking noodles into large pieces, as necessary, to fit pan. Spread ⅔ cup sauce evenly over noodles to completely cover. Layer ⅔ cup tofu mixture over sauce. Sprinkle with ⅓ cup cheese mixture. Repeat layers with noodles, sauce, tofu mixture, and cheese mixture. Layer 2⅔ noodles over cheese mixture. Top with ⅔ cup sauce and ⅓ cup cheese mixture. Repeat the layering procedure in the second pan with remaining noodles, sauce, tofu, and cheese mixture.
- Cover just the tops of springform pans with aluminium foil coated with cooking spray, coated side down. Crimp edges to tightly secure foil to each pan. Wash and dry the inner pot; return the pot to cooker. Add remaining 1½ cups water to the inner pot.
- Place 1 pan on the steam rack. Using rack handles, lower pan into the inner pot. Carefully set the second pan directly on top of the first pan, ensuring that there is the clearance between sides of pans and inner pot all around.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot®. Turn the steam release handle to “Sealing” position. Cook at High Pressure 20 minutes. Allow a complete Natural Pressure Release. Open cooker. Remove pans from cooker; remove foil from pans. Set pans on a sheet pan lined with foil.
- Preheat broiler to high heat.
- Broil in the top half of the oven 3 minutes or just until cheese is lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove the sides of each pan and transfer each lasagna to a large plate. Cut into wedges, and serve hot.